Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Wonder That Is Ugly Betty

I've had a great Ugly Betty evening. But how could any Ugly Betty evening be otherwise?



Tonight's episode was a great example of how I am such a sucker for this show. Claire is innocent?! Yayyyy! Gio ever-more-pathetically in love with Betty?! Awwwwww! Cristina agrees to carry Wilhemina's baby?! Gasp! (OK, I saw that coming from roughly 14 miles away. But still! That's baby's going to be so evil! I know we're all pumped.)

Just as delightful was the preview, which let me know--we're not out of episodes yet! (This writers' strike is going to kill me. Give in, producers! Come on.)

In celebration, after the new episode, I busted out my Christmas present of Ugly Betty: Season One and watched the pilot. Oh, Ugly Betty, how you have changed in 1 and 3/4ths seasons.




Things I miss about Betty of the Past:

Pre-pubescent Justin--so cuuuuuute! (Not that post-pubescent Justin isn't fabulous, because he is.)

Scenes from the telenovela the Suarezes watch.

America Ferrera's hair. They let her wear either her own hair or a much nicer wig in the pilot. I suppose they thought that the horrible wig would make up for the several pounds she appears to have lost since then. (I miss those pounds, too. Those are pounds Betty would have in real life.)












Things I don't miss, and am glad have been dispensed with in Betty of the Present:

Marc's hair. (And makeup. [And wardrobe.])

Walter. (Ewwwwwwww. Betty, what were you thinking?)

Betty deciding she should quit Mode every episode. (Now it's, what? Every third episode?)






(Sidenote: whilst watching Episode 3, I spotted America's Next Top Model's most recent winner, you know, what'sherface. She was a snooty model who rode an elevator with Betty and smirked at the insults Amanda shot at her. Mercifully, she had no lines.)



Ultimately, though, the things that make Ugly Betty wonderful are the things that have stayed the same.

The schemes upon schemes cooked up by the villains and the heroes.

The way it makes you empathize with almost every single character, no matter how good or evil he or she or he/she is supposed to be--one thing I just adore about the character of Wilhemina is how she implements all these devious and hurtul plans to take over the magazine, but the show is brave enough to show that she would be a better editor than Daniel. WAY better. (It makes me want her to succeed.)

And above all, the enthusiastic embrace of its own soapiness and silliness. Only a show this smart could be this good at being stupid.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Subscribed, and excited about your new kid, and hope you remember to feed both of them regularly. ;)

But I have to say, I so don't get the Ugly Betty love. But I also hate Seinfeld, which I'm told makes me un-American. So maybe it's just me. =)

Anonymous said...

Yay new blog! twice as many blogs means twice as many posts, right?

MacKenzie said...

I'm excited about "New Blog." Also, love the design. Did you find a template somewhere or did you do it yourself?

Rachel said...

I'm trying to figure out whether there's some common bond between Seinfeld and Ugly Betty that makes Ashley dislike them. I can't go with, "Uh, THEY'RE AWESOME?!??" because I'm lukewarm towards Seinfeld. (Ashley, have you ever seen an episode of Ugly Betty with Henry in it? Seriously, that's good stuff.)

Also, I did use a template; I just futzed with the colors (which is one of my favorite pasttimes anyway).

And I can't promise twice as many posts, but I'll try to be good.